Carpenter Ants are some of the biggest ants out there and can be as big as 3/8 inch long and will usually be black. These ants don’t eat wood but will work on creating passageways in old or rotten wood to help move their food around.
What do they look like?
- Average worker ant size is 3/8 inch long
- Typically black in color but some subspecies can vary in color from red to yellow
Where will I find them?
- In moist wood, decaying wood, tree stumps and railroad tiles
- By landscaped wood borders, heavily mulched areas, and firewood
- Under insulation, wall voids, under or near hot tubs, tree holes, hollow rods and attic eaves
What else should I know?
- Sometimes they bite, but are not capable of stinging
- They are omnivorous so they like sweet honeydew, dead insects and food scraps
- Formic acid odor when crushed
If you think you have carpenter ants contact Around the Clock Pest Control for a free inspection and let us help you to eliminate the carpenter ant population.